Work Permit

If you are from an EU country you can engage in employment in Germany or become self-employed.

People from third countries are only permitted to work in Germany if their residence permit allows it. You can apply for appropriate permits at the Foreigners' Registration Office.

Further information about a Residence permit


What is the meaning of the "work permit" terms in your residence permit?

  • Permitted to engage in employment
    You may work for an employer and/or become self-employed.
  • Permitted to engage in employment, not permitted to become self-employed
    You may work for an employer but may not become self-employed.
  • Only permitted to engage in employment with a permit from the Foreigners' Registration Office
    Apply for a work permit at the Foreigners' Registration Office if you have found a job. You may only start working once you have this.

Immigration Law and Citizenship Law (Department)

Ausländer- und Staatsangehörigkeitsrecht

Eberhardstraße 39
70173 Stuttgart

Postal address

Landeshauptstadt Stuttgart
Amt für öffentliche Ordnung, Ausländer- und Staatsangehörigkeitsrecht
70161 Stuttgart

Contact us

+49 711 216-91821
+49 711 216-91822
+49 711 216-98103
Kontaktdaten zur Terminvereinbarung

Öffnungszeiten - Grundsätzlich nur mit Terminvereinbarung

Mo, Di, Mi 08:30 - 13:00
Do 13:00 - 18:00
Fr 08:30 - 12:00

Telefonische Erreichbarkeit

Mo, Di, Mi 14:00 - 15:30
Do 09:00 - 12:00

Your way to us