Taxes and Duties

In Germany you have to pay tax on your income. The way in which you pay tax on your income is dependent on whether you are employed or self-employed. 

If you are employed, your employer transfers your net income into your account. Your employer has then already deducted pension insurance, health insurance, unemployment insurance and care insurance from your salary and paid these directly. In addition, income tax, the solidarity surcharge and any possible church tax have already gone to the tax office. If you are self-employed, you have to declare your income on your tax return.


Tax calculator and income tax tables:

Tax calculator (only in german)

Information about terms used in the German tax law:

Federal Ministry of Finance (only in German)

Telephone service for the Federal Ministry of Finance:

+49 30 18682-3300