Subsequent Immigration of Dependants

EU/EEA citizens

Residence and subsequent immigration of dependants  

Family members who are themselves citizens of the EU or nationals of Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein can provide evidence of their right of residence and their right of access to the employment market with their passport and certificate of registration. 

Family members of citizens of EU/EEA states who are themselves not citizens of the EU or EEA citizens: they need a visa  to travel to Germany. They then receive a so-called residence card in Germany.

Citizens of Third Countries

Residence and subsequent immigration of dependants

Spouses and under-age children of third country citizens who have a residence permit to enable them to reside in Germany can apply to a German embassy abroad for the subsequent immigration of their family.

Subsequent immigration of spouses and partners

The subsequent immigration of spouses has certain conditions in Germany. A third party citizen living in Germany must

  • have a a residence title,
  • have adequate housing available,
  • generally be able to ensure that they have shared means of subsistence including health insurance cover,
  • generally prove a basic knowledge of German (language certificate A1).

Both spouses must also be at least 18 years of age and the spouse immigrating subsequently must generally prove a basic knowledge of German. There must also be no reasons for deportation. The duration of stay must be more than one year.

These rules also apply to same-sex partnerships.

Subsequent immigration of children

Under-age, unmarried children of foreign nationals have a fundamental right to subsequently immigrate to Germany with their parents. Children under 16 years of age are privileged; they only require legal guardianship and a residence or settlement permit. They must have adequate housing available and the means of subsistence including health insurance cover.

Subsequent immigration of other family members

Family members who are not part of the nuclear family, such as grown-up children and grandparents, can only apply for subsequent immigration if "exceptional hardship" would otherwise occur. This would be the case, for example, if the family member living in Germany or abroad requires illness- or age-related assistance and no proof of this can be shown in the local country.


Immigration Law and Citizenship Law

Please arrange an appointment.

Ausländer- und Staatsangehörigkeitsrecht

Eberhardstraße 39
70173 Stuttgart

Postal address

Landeshauptstadt Stuttgart
Amt für öffentliche Ordnung, Ausländer- und Staatsangehörigkeitsrecht
70161 Stuttgart

Contact us

+49 711 216-91821
+49 711 216-91822
+49 711 216-98103
Kontaktdaten zur Terminvereinbarung

Öffnungszeiten - Grundsätzlich nur mit Terminvereinbarung

Mo, Di, Mi 08:30 - 13:00
Do 13:00 - 18:00
Fr 08:30 - 12:00

Telefonische Erreichbarkeit

Mo, Di, Mi 14:00 - 15:30
Do 09:00 - 12:00

Your way to us