Extension of a residence permit
To extend your residence permit, you will receive a letter in good time before it expires, informing you of the documents that are required. At the same time, you will receive an appointment inviting you to attend in person.
If you do not receive this letter in good time before the residence permit expires, please contact the
Foreigners' Registration Office to arrange an appointment
as soon as possible.
The following documents must be submitted during your visit:
- Valid national passport with a valid residence permit
- Passport/ identity card, if applicable, with the residence permit of the family member
- Proof that you can provide for yourself
- Evidence of a further case of special hardship (e.g. medical certificate)
- Proof of where you live and a rental agreement
- When receiving benefits: up-to-date letter from the job centre
- 1 biometric passport photo
Further requirements may have to be fulfilled in addition to the above-mentioned points. The final processing of your application will only be considered if all documents are submitted in full.
ATTENTION! A residence permit will expire if
the foreigner leaves the country for a reason that is by its very nature not temporary,
the foreigner leaves the country and does not return within six months or within the period defined by the Foreigners' Registration Office.
Exceptions to this are possible. Therefore, please always contact your Foreigners' Registration Office in good time in specific individual cases.
§§ 27, 36 German Residence Act (AufenthG)
§ 45, 50 German Immigration Law (AufenthV)