Subsequent Immigration of Spouses, Civil Partners, Parents of Under-Age Children or Under-Age Children of German Citizens
The children and spouses of German citizens may obtain a residence permit for family-related reasons. This also applies to the guardians of under-age, unmarried German citizens. They may move to Germany and work here.
The same applies to the following same-sex civil partnerships:
- "Registered civil partnerships" in accordance with the German Civil Partnership Act
- State-recognised civil partnerships under foreign law that essentially correspond to the German "registered civil partnership"
- Initial granting of a residence permit (people arriving for the first time)
- Extension of a residence permit
Initial granting of a residence permit (people arriving for the first time)
You can register at any Citizen's Service Centre in the city. Please contact the Foreigners' Registration Office for the initial granting of your residence permit.
The following additional requirements are necessary in addition to the general conditions for granting a permit :
- The person who the family member is joining is a German citizen and normally lives in Germany
- With the subsequent immigration of a spouse: Minimum age of both spouses is 18 years of age
- The family member joining the person has basic knowledge of the German language (level A1 of the "Common European Framework of Reference for Languages" of the European Council)
The following documents must be submitted to ensure the fast and smooth processing of your application:
- Completed application form (for residents of Stuttgart!)
Valid entry visa for the subsequent immigration of family members
Note: additional proof of family relationships when entering without a visa (e.g. marriage certificate, birth certificate, divorce decree from a previous marriage, if applicable, declaration of custody rights and the involvement in a community for mutual support and care), proof of basic knowledge of the German language, proof of where you live and a rental agreement, proof that you you can provide for yourself
- Valid national passport
- Declaration of a marital relationship
- Proof of health insurance cover
- 1 biometric passport photo
The final processing of your application will only be considered if all documents are submitted in full.
- the foreigner leaves the country for a reason that is by its very nature not temporary
- the foreigner leaves the country and does not return within six months or within the period defined by the Foreigners' Registration Office.
Exceptions to this are possible. Therefore, please always contact your Foreigners' Registration Office in good time in specific individual cases.
§§ 27, 28, 30 German Residence Act (AufenthG)
§ 45, 50 German Immigration Law (AufenthV)