Subsequent Immigration of Spouses, Civil Partners, Parents of Under-Age Children or Under-Age Children of German Citizens
The children and spouses of German citizens may obtain a residence permit for family-related reasons. This also applies to the guardians of under-age, unmarried German citizens. They may move to Germany and work here.
The same applies to the following same-sex civil partnerships:
- "Registered civil partnerships" in accordance with the German Civil Partnership Act
- State-recognised civil partnerships under foreign law that essentially correspond to the German "registered civil partnership"
The following additional requirements are necessary in addition to the general conditions for granting a permit :
- The person who the family member is joining is a German citizen and normally lives in Germany
- With the subsequent immigration of a spouse: Minimum age of both spouses is 18 years of age
- The family member joining the person has basic knowledge of the German language (level A1 of the "Common European Framework of Reference for Languages" of the European Council)
The following documents must be submitted to ensure the fast and smooth processing of your application:
- Completed application form (for residents of Stuttgart!)
Valid entry visa for the subsequent immigration of family members
Note: additional proof of family relationships when entering without a visa (e.g. marriage certificate, birth certificate, divorce decree from a previous marriage, if applicable, declaration of custody rights and the involvement in a community for mutual support and care), proof of basic knowledge of the German language, proof of where you live and a rental agreement, proof that you you can provide for yourself
- Valid national passport
- Declaration of a marital relationship
- Proof of health insurance cover
- 1 biometric passport photo
Further requirements may have to be fulfilled in addition to the above-mentioned points.
Further information by the City of Stuttgart about family reunion (German only)