Subsequent Immigration of Spouses, Civil Partners, Parents of Under-Age Children or Under-Age Children of Foreign Nationals
The children and spouses of foreign nationals living in Germany may obtain a residence permit for family-related reasons. They can use this to
- move to Germany and
- engage in employment
The same applies to the following same-sex civil partnerships:
- Registered civil partnerships" in accordance with the German Civil Partnership Act
- State-recognised civil partnerships under foreign law that essentially correspond to the German "registered civil partnership"
Initial granting of a residence permit (people arriving for the first time)
You can register with the police at any Citizen's Service Centre in the city. Please contact the Foreigners' Registration Office for the initial granting of your residence permit.
The following additional requirements are necessary in addition to the general conditions for granting a permit :
- The person who the family member is joining has a
- residence permit,
- settlement permit or a
- permit for the right to permanent residence in the EC
- With the subsequent immigration of a spouse: Minimum age of both spouses is 18 years of age
- The family member joining the person has basic knowledge of the German language (level A1 of the "Common European Framework of Reference for Languages" of the European Council)
- In addition, with the subsequent immigration of children between the ages of 16 and 18:
- Entry as a family group with parents
- Command of the German language or evidence of a positive integration prognosis (e.g. due to German ancestry or through attending a German school) or
- evidence of a case of special hardship
The following documents must be submitted to ensure the fast and smooth processing of your application:
- Completed application form (for residents of Stuttgart!)
- Valid entry visa for the subsequent immigration of family members
Additional proof of family relationships when entering without a visa (e.g. marriage certificate, birth certificate, divorce decree from a previous marriage, if applicable, declaration of custody rights and the involvement in a community for mutual support and care), proof of basic knowledge of the German language, proof of where you live and a rental agreement, proof that you can provide for yourselfspan>
- Valid national passport
- Declaration of a marital relationship
- Proof of health insurance cover
- 1 biometric passport photo
Further requirements may have to be fulfilled in addition to the above-mentioned points.
The final processing of your application will only be considered if all documents are submitted in full.
- the foreigner leaves the country for a reason that is by its very nature not temporary,
- the foreigner leaves the country and does not return within six months or within the period defined by the Foreigners' Registration Office.
Exceptions to this are possible. Therefore, please always contact your Foreigners' Registration Office in good time in specific individual cases.
§§ 27, 28, 30 German Residence Act (AufenthG)
§ 45, 50 German Immigration Law (AufenthV)