Temporary Residence with a Residence Permit for Employment - Au-Pair

You are a foreign citizen, are between the age of 18 and 25 and want to work in Germany as an au-pair? Then you require a residence permit for the purpose of employment as an au-pair and, in most cases, a national visa in advance to enter Germany.
The residence permit for au-pair employment applies for working in the home of a host family and for childcare.

Granting of a residence permit (people arriving for the first time)

You can register with the police at any Citizens' Service Centres in the city. Please contact the Foreigners Registration Office for the initial granting of your residence permit.



The following additional requirements are necessary in addition to the general conditions for granting a permit :

  • You are between the age of 18 and 25
  • Au-pair contract
  • German is spoken as the mother tongue in the au-pair family
  • Basic knowledge of the German language
  • Engaging in employment as an au-pair is the main purpose of your stay
  • You can provide for yourself and have health insurance cover in Germany
  • Registered main residence is the home of the host family
  • Approval from the Federal Employment Agency, if the employment is subject to approval.



The following documents must be submitted to ensure the fast and smooth processing of your application:

  • Completed application form (for residents of Stuttgart!)
  • Valid entry visa for employment as an au-pair
    Note: in addition, proof of language skills, proof that you can provide for yourself, an au-pair contract, health insurance cover and work permit, if applicable, when entering without a visa
  • Application
  • Valid national passport
  • 1 biometric passport photo
  • Proof of where your live, a rental agreement or statement from the host (informally) confirming acceptance of the au-pair work

Further information


Further requirements may have to be fulfilled in addition to the above-mentioned points. The final processing of your application will only be considered if all documents are submitted in full.

ATTENTION! A residence permit will expire if
  • the foreigner leaves the country for a reason that is by its very nature not temporary,
  • the foreigner leaves the country and does not return within six months or within the period defined by the Foreigners' Registration Office.

Exceptions to this are possible. Therefore, please always contact your Foreigners' Registration Office in good time in specific individual cases.

The residence permit for employment as an au-pair may be granted for a maximum of 1 year.

Legal bases

§§ 18, 39 German Residence Act (AufenthG)
§ 45 German Immigration Law (AufenthV)
German Employment Regulation

Ausländer- und Staatsangehörigkeitsrecht

Eberhardstraße 39
70173 Stuttgart

Postal address

Landeshauptstadt Stuttgart
Amt für öffentliche Ordnung, Ausländer- und Staatsangehörigkeitsrecht
70161 Stuttgart

Contact us

+49 711 216-91857
+49 711 216-91856
+49 711 216-98103

Öffnungszeiten - Grundsätzlich nur mit Terminvereinbarung

Mo, Di, Mi 08:30 - 13:00
Do 13:00 - 18:00
Fr 08:30 - 12:00

Telefonische Erreichbarkeit

Mo, Di, Mi 14:00 - 15:30
Do 09:00 - 12:00

Your way to us