The following documents must be submitted to ensure the fast and smooth processing of your application:
- Valid national passport and residence permit
- 1 biometric passport photo
- Proof that you can provide for yourself (employment contract, certificate of employment and statement of earnings, at least the last 3 wage / salary slips)
- Proof of where you live and a rental agreement
- Proof of basic knowledge of the legal and social order,*
- proof of adequate knowledge of the German language (language level B1)*
- Proof of compulsory or voluntary contributions made over a 60-month period into the statutory pension scheme or a similar pension scheme, *
- If applicable, proof of the permit required to engage in employment (e.g. lawyers, notaries, etc.)
- Declaration regarding previous convictions / social security benefits
*Holders of a residence permit or residence entitlement prior to 01.01.2005 only need to have a basic knowledge of the German language. Proof of basic knowledge of the legal and social order as well as contributions into the statutory pension scheme are not required.
Further requirements may have to be fulfilled in addition to the above-mentioned points. The final processing of your application will only be considered if all documents are submitted in full.
ATTENTION! A residence permit will expire if
the foreigner leaves the country for a reason that is by its very nature not temporary,
the foreigner leaves the country and does not return within six months or within the period defined by the Foreigners' Registration Office.
As a holder of a settlement permit you may ask at the foreigners's office for a allowance to keep your permant residence permit if you have to leave Germany for longer than 6 months.