Permanent Residence with a Settlement Permit for Family Members of German Citizens

The children and spouses of German citizens may obtain a settlement permit for family-related reasons. This also applies to the guardians of under-age, unmarried German citizens.


The following additional requirements are necessary in addition to the general conditions for granting a settlement permit :

  • You have had a residence permit for 3 years for family-related reasons
  • You live with a German citizen in a family community in the Federal Republic or you and a German citizen live in a community for mutual support and care
  • You have a permit to engage in employment*
  • You have paid contributions into the statutory pension scheme or another pension scheme with comparable benefits for five years*
  • You may engage in employment and have all the necessary permits for this*
  • You have adequate knowledge of the German language (language level B1);
    exception: proof of basic knowledge of the German language (language level A1) is sufficient for family members who already had a residence permit in accordance with § 28 Para. 1 of the German Residence Act (AufenthG) on 05.09.2013
  • You can provide adequate accommodation for you and your family members

*It will suffice if the conditions are fulfilled by one spouse in the case of spouses in a martial relationship.


The following documents must be submitted to ensure the fast and smooth processing of your application:

  • Valid national passport and residence permit
  • Application form
  • 1 biometric passport photo
  • Declaration regarding your marital relationship / civil partnership or community for mutual support and care (if applicable, proof that you are involved in a community for mutual support and care)
  • Declaration regarding previous convictions / social security benefits
  • Proof that you can provide for yourself (employment contract, certificate of employment and statement of earnings, at least the last 3 wage / salary slips)
  • Proof of where you live and a rental agreement
  • If applicable, proof of the permit required to engage in employment (e.g. lawyers, notaries, etc.)

Further information

Further requirements may have to be fulfilled in addition to the above-mentioned points. The final processing of your application will only be considered if all documents are submitted in full.

ATTENTION! A residence permit will expire if

  • the foreigner leaves the country for a reason that is by its very nature not temporary,
  • the foreigner leaves the country and does not return within six months or within the period defined by the Foreigners' Registration Office.

    Exceptions to this are possible. Therefore, please always contact your Foreigners' Registration Office in good time in specific individual cases.

    Legal bases

    §§ 9, 28 Para. 2 German Residence Act (AufenthG)
    §§ 44, 50 German Immigration Law (AufenthV)