Permanent Residence with a Settlement Permit for Children

A settlement permit may be granted to children who have a residence permit for family-related reasons.


The following additional requirements are necessary in addition to the general conditions for granting a settlement permit :

  • You are between 16 or 18 years old
  • You have had a residence permit for 5 years for family-related reasons
  • At the age of consent:
    • You have adequate knowledge of the German language
    • You can provide for yourself or are in training leading to a recognised educational or vocational qualification or degree
  • There is no reason to deport you based on your personal behaviour
  • You have not been sentenced to a term of youth custody of at least six months in the last three years or a term of imprisonment of at least 3 months or a fine equivalent to 90 days' income
  • You do not receive any benefits in accordance with the second or twelfth code of the Social Code (exception: when attending training with a recognised school educational or vocational qualification)


The following documents must be submitted to ensure the fast and smooth processing of your application:

  • Valid national passport and residence permit
  • Application form
  • 1 biometric passport photo, see Photo templates for passport and identity documents (PDF - 1,3 MB)
  • Declaration regarding previous convictions / social security benefits
  • Proof that you can provide for yourself including proof of where you live and a rental agreement or proof of training
  • If applicable, proof of adequate knowledge of the German language (through school leaving certificate)

Further information

Further requirements may have to be fulfilled in addition to the above-mentioned points. The final processing of your application will only be considered if all documents are submitted in full.

ATTENTION! A residence permit will expire if

  • the foreigner leaves the country for a reason that is by its very nature not temporary,
  • the foreigner leaves the country and does not return within six months or within the period defined by the Foreigners' Registration Office.

Exceptions to this are possible. Therefore, please always contact your Foreigners' Registration Office in good time in specific individual cases.

Legal bases

§§ 9, 35 German Residence Act (AufenthG)
§§ 44, 50 German Immigration Law (AufenthV)