Permanent Residence with a Settlement Permit for Graduates from German Universities

Graduates from German universities (state or state-recognised universities or equivalent institutions) can obtain a settlement permit under easier conditions.


The following additional requirements are necessary in addition to the general conditions for granting a settlement permit :

  • You have had one of the following residence permits for two years:
    • Residence permit for the purpose of employment
    • Residence permit for qualified people with toleration status for the purpose of employment
    • EU Blue Card
    • Residence permit for the purpose of engaging in self-employed work
  • You have a job in line with your degree,
  • You may engage in employment and have all the necessary permits for this
  • You have adequate knowledge of the German language (language level B1) as well as basic knowledge of the German legal and social order and
  • you have paid contributions into the statutory pension scheme or another pension scheme with comparable benefits for 24 months


The following documents must be submitted to ensure the fast and smooth processing of your application:

  • Valid national passport and residence permit
  • Application form
  • 1 biometric passport photo
  • Declaration regarding previous convictions / social security benefits
  • Proof that you can provide for yourself (employment contract, certificate of employment and statement of earnings, at least your last 3 wage / salary slips)
  • Proof of an appropriate job
  • Proof of where you live and a rental agreement
  • Proof of contributions made over a 24-month period into the statutory pension scheme or another pension scheme
  • If applicable, proof of the permit required to engage in employment (e.g. lawyers, notaries, etc.)
  • Degree certificate from a German university

Further information

Further requirements may have to be fulfilled in addition to the above-mentioned points. The final processing of your application will only be considered if all documents are submitted in full.